Wednesday, July 11, 2007

python for mac: installation

People can say that apple is not opensource, but I am still love it. Actually, vista has better gui than macos, but again people say wait for macos 10.5.

Anyway, I am still love my new MacBook Pro.

I'd like to learn python again to maintain my Online Enrolment System [KRS] for my faculty. I remembered when OSDC Meeting in Melbourne, December 2005, Jeff Waugh said that Ubuntu has better support off the shelf for python than any other distro. But, now, I need to install it on my mac. Mac comes with python version 2.3.5 while the newest is version 2.5.1.

Browsing on the python website, I found out that there is macos version for python [download from here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1-macosx.dmg]. The file is almost 18 MB. Download it, double click on it, open the installer.

> double click on MacPython.mpkg
> Click on "Continue" button on Introduction, Read Me and Licence pages, then click "Agree" to acknowledge the Licence Agreement.
> Pick the daetination then click on "Continue" button.
> Choose "Install" then enter the password for the admin user.
> Then close it after installation is finished.

To try it:
type python on terminal, you will get directly the new version:
daniel-adinugrohos-computer:~ adinugro$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
[use Ctrl-D to exit from python interpreter]

This is what I love with mac, instalation is very simple and has the pattern and interface. Although, Linux is catching up with klik, synaptic and many more.

No comments: